L440GX+ board

Bob Jones bt4rfj at earthlink.net
Tue May 18 11:06:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004 02:36:15 +0200, Emmanuel Seyman <seyman at wanadoo.fr>
wrote:

> I'm trying to install FC 1 on a VA Linux system which has a L440GX+
> motherboard and a SCSI card. At installation, the aic7xxx modules
> starts to load but the installation stops at this point.
>
> I've tried every combinaison of "noprobe noacpi smp pci=biosirq"
> that I can think of but still can't make the install continue.
>
> Is there anyway to make this work?
> Will FC2 be better in this respect?
>
> Emmanuel

The 440GX systems had all sorts of problems at first. I've had a couple of
440GXs and am running one now with FC1 and FC2T3 as I type this. The
problem is the mobo BIOS, the BIOS setup, the implementation of the BIOS
by the mobo (all of the "one-off" boards were different from the Intel
boards, and Intel came out with several fixes/updates to their BIOS) and
then the SCSI card.

Before going through all sorts of gyrations try this first;

1. Strip out all of the cards except the SCSI card and put it in the first
PCI slot.
2. In your BIOS, turn off/disable "Plug and Play" and "Power
Management/APM".
3. In your BIOS, turn on "ACPI" (It may say "ACPI aware O/S") - say Yes.
4. In your BIOS, turn off/disable USB Legacy Support
5. If you are booting from FC1 cds with kernel 2.4.22-1.2115, append to
the kernel line when you boot acpi=on
6. If you are booting from any kernel build beyond 2163, you dont't need
any reference to acpi

You didn't mention what Adaptec card you have installed. I have an Adaptec
160 - 2940U2W. Some of the older cards may give you problems depending on
age and card BIOS.

If the foregoing doesn't work then try some of the other fixes.

HTH

Bob