Upgrading from FC1 to FC2 via apt-get

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue May 18 18:11:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 18:47, bdw at briandwright.com wrote:
> Good morning, list!
>
> First, my congratulations to the Fedora team for releasing FC2 on
> schedule. :)
>
> I upgraded from RH 9 to FC1 via the apt-get utility, and was wondering if
> that was adviseable for FC2.

Possible in many/most cases but certainly not advisable. If you're using
LVM then just forget about it, other things can be fixed manually if you
really want to waste time doing what anaconda would do for you.

> My big concern is the new file naming conventions for the X.org release of
> X Windows.  I think the config file for X would have to be regenerated.

That and various other things ... A basic IDE box is likely to *boot*
quite happily after such an upgrade but you'll have plenty of tinkering
to do afterwards.

	- Panu -