seeding question

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue May 18 21:34:38 UTC 2004

At 14:57 5/18/2004, Dwaine Castle wrote:
>I am using an XP Pro system to run BitTorrent.  I tried several sites over
>the last 24 hours, but never achieved more than 5-20 KB/s with uploads in
>the 40-60 KB/s range.

FWIW, this is common for me. After letting it run a while it evens out,
though, and the downloads pick up a lot. Especially if you open a few (five
or so) ports for incoming, which is the Nice Thing To Do anyway.

>Once I get the DVD iso verified, I would like to set my system
>up as a seed to help other people.  Can you tell me how I can
>set that up?

Just act like you are going to download it all over again, and point
BitTorrent to the already completed file as its destination. BT will want
to download the whole thing again and will first checksum the whole thing
to find out which parts are missing. When it finds out that nothing is
missing and that the file is complete, it will happily continue uploading
to others but will not need to download at all.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com