iiim problems in FC2

Nadeem Bitar nadiizu at earthlink.net
Wed May 19 00:45:29 UTC 2004

On 火, 2004-05-18 at 12:21 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Thomas Huining Feng wrote:
> > I'm a Chinese user. I didn't used iiim before I install FC2. I don't
> > like it after my first try. It supports too few input methods for
> > Chinese. It always displays an annoying white rectangle beside the
> > window.
> >
> > Another problem is, once I switch to the Chinese language, iiim is
> > automatically enabled. This is nothing bad. However, when I switch
> > back to English, its annoying white box still appears beside each
> > window!!! I find out that XIM is set to htt in ~/.i18n. This option is
> > set even for English sessions.
> >
> > I then want to disable the iiim system-wide service, 'cause I'm not
> > going to use it any more. However, disabling this service makes KDE
> > applications hang mysteriously. This means I have to turn it on even
> > if I don't use iiim.
> >
> > It's definitely not the best choice of IME in Linux. I'd like to use
> > SCIM. I wonder why Fedora people make other IMs obsolete while turning
> > to use iiim. Is it a good idea to do so?
> >

> IIIMF is the next generation unified framework for improved CJK input in
> all of our future software.  During the FC2 and FC3 cycle we need user
> reports from people like you, to know exactly what you dislike about its
> function and Look & Feel.  With your help, we will be able to do several
> updates to IIIMF and related tools during the FC2 cycle to make it
> better suit your needs.
>
> The current FC development schedule has XIM for removal by FC3, so it is
> imperative that you complain LOUD and HARD now.

Here are my complaints:

- gimlet crashed and I can't reload it even if i reboot. I have a
transparent panel and each time i add the gimlet applet all I see is a
dot.
- I can't  type japanese anymore ever since gimlet crashed, it was
working well before.
service IIim restart doesn't change anything.
The logs don't show any errors.
I even changed /etc/htt.conf and changed the DefaultPermission to
permit