DPMS keeps activating while using KDE

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Wed May 19 11:25:29 UTC 2004

I have installed FC2 and always use KDE as my desktop.

Since upgrading to FC2, DPMS occasionally kicks in while I am using the
computer (i.e. < 1 second after mouse/keyboard activity). Moving the mouse
immediately switches the display back on.

This happens irregularly. Once it was twice within 10 minutes, other times I
can use it for hours without it occurring. Unfortunately, this makes it
difficult to find out what is causing it!

I have DPMS enabled in xorg.conf, and I also have "Standby after 60 min" set
in "Display Power Control" in the KDE Control Centre. Note that the
unwanted blanking sometimes occurs less than 60 minutes after logging in.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Is this something to do with ACPI - I don't know much about this, and don't
know where the configuration is stored.

I don't want to disable DPMS in xorg.conf as I do like my monitor to power
down when it isn't being used!

Jonathan