FC2 on Toshiba Laptop

-=Brian Truter=- brian at famvid.com
Wed May 19 13:58:11 UTC 2004

I installed FC2 on my Satellite 2805 last night. It didn't work out well at
all. While I had no installation problems, many other things were a mess.

The PCMCIA card was not detected. The onboard ethernet was detected, but did
not work when set up via DHCP or static IP. I could not get on the network
no matter what I tried. My USB mouse would not function. The LCD was not
detected by the installer, but worked ok when I set it up manually.

It was exteremly slow. The results of a simple ps command took over 2
minutes to run. Some applications just didn't do anything at all.

While I didn't have any error messages, it was still unusable for me. After
trying to get things going after a couple hours, I finally gave in, and just
re-installed FC1, which works perfectly by the way.

I would like to have been able to spend more time trying to figure out the
problems, but I had to have it working by the time I went back to work.