Weird sound issues Was: FC 2 : Alsa,Alsa,Alsa

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed May 19 15:27:16 UTC 2004

david walcroft wrote:

> I've just put FC2 in, system-config-soundcard works with no problem
> but KDE does'nt want to work.It's the same problem I had in Test3 and I
> get these two errors,which did'nt happen in Test3
>
> "Sound server informational message:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device: default can't be opened for playback (Unknown error)
> The sound server will continue, using the null output device."
>
> "amixer: Unknown playback setup 'on' "
> this error appears when running  system-config-soundcard
>
> my card is an Audigy emuk10,I have not tried other sound sources (xmms)
> yet.
>
>   TIA    david

Hmmm

I was able to get XMMS to play WAV files after selecting ESD as the
output system, but could not get Gnome to play the WAV sounds. I switched to KDE and it plays sounds well.

Even though I had all the sound levels cranked up the line in level
was not very loud. While trying to get my scanner to work I started
scanimage and the volume jumped up. For what ever reason scanimage
decided to use my video capture card because it couldn't find my
scanner.

In Gnome the mixer shows way too many volume controls. Many appear to
be duplicates and some don't move. In KDE the mixer seems to show the
correct number of mixer controls and they all seem to work.

When i did an lsmod as root, I noticed that the OSS compatibility module
was loaded. The reason I mention it, was I had originally thought Gnome
had been compiled with OSS support rather than ALSA support. Since the
OSS module is loaded it shouldn't matter which one it was compiled with
I would think.

The sound on the computer with the problems has an on-board {ASUS-P4PE}
SoundMax {ADI198x AC97 codec}. I wonder if it is somehow stuck in
surround sound mode. When I get home tonight I will try hooking the
speakers to the line in and mic jacks to see if it is sending sound
to those ports {that is where the centre/sub and surround outputs are
when in surround mode}.