Clamav

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed May 19 18:53:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 05:59:13PM +1000, Phil Anderson wrote:
> mail has a virus, it gets nasty.  Basically, the message gets blocked,
> but the normal warning message to the recipent & postmaster dont' get
> sent.  This is what ends up in my maillog:

This seems like a big improvement. I get several *hundred* such warnings
every day, every single one of them spurious. I never ever ever want to hear
if some virus forged some e-mail somewhere. I don't care. Throw it away.

Before I started making some complicated procmail rules (unfortunately, the
umpteen-million virus scanner programs that have unleashed this plague upon
us do not have a standard message, and worse, allow easy message
customization by the naive site admins), these stupid notifications were
making my e-mail almost unusable. Please, don't ever send these. If you
must, write them to a log file, and give that log file to your MS Windows
security team, and have them root out the actual infected systems.