The best things in Fedora Core 2

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed May 19 19:05:08 UTC 2004

João Paulo (LinuxMall) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What are the best things in Fedora Core 2? I did't use it yet. But I would like to know what do users think about:
>
>- hardware detection

It detected all supported hardware even the Promise SATA 3xx, that I
don't use.
I wish my HP 3750c scanner was supported. :-(
When I hooked up a Logitech 3000 webcam, my audio wouldn't work.
My Logitech click 510 still does not work.
I could not get my iRMan to work.
There appears to be a kernel driver for the ATI USB remote, but I didn't
try it.

>- variety of applications (large or could be better)

I didn't notice anything missing, that I did not expect.

>- ease of installation and use

If you prefer KDE, it was easy.

>- stability (it's really good?)

I was not able to get Gnome to play sounds.

>- looks like Red Hat 9.0 in what aspects

Looks great.

>- performance for slow computers

I have only tried it on P4's. One was a 1.5 with 1G of PC133 RAM with an
ATI AIW 8500DV
and the other is a 2.4 with 1G of DDR 333MHz RAM with an nVidia Geforce
4 MX. Both
feel faster than they did with RHL 9 and FC1.

>- etc. etc.

TvTime is much better that XawTv ever was.
GIMP is awesome, it is way better than the last Photoshop I used.
If you use MSN, kopete is much better than GAIM.

>Bye
>
>João

After messing around for a long time trying to get sound working under
Gnome, I didn't have much time to play around with many apps once I
switched to KDE. KDE seems to be much better that it used to be, I'll
have to wait and see if Gnome improves.