FC2: Init 5 issues on Dell C840

Matthew Wagenknecht Matthew.Wagenknecht at Quantum.com
Thu May 20 00:21:25 UTC 2004

Hey, everyone. Kinda new to the list. Lots of good information here!!

I have a question and am looking for some advice.

I was running FC1 on my laptop. I decided to take the leap to FC2. After
upgrading, my laptop boots fine in "init 3" mode. I can log in and run
"startx" to bring up Gnome without issue. The problem is when booting in
"init 5" mode, kudzu hangs at "checking for new hardware". Blinking cursor
at the end of the line. CTRL+ALT+BKSP unloads X and I can hit CTRL+ALT+DEL
to restart, so it look like it's not the kernel.

If I bypass kudzu during startup (using interactive mode), it stops at the
PCMCIA service with the same behavior. I have no cards in the slots.

Any ideas why services start fine during "init 3" and not during "init 5"?
Don't forget that X loads fine after I log in and everything starts fine
during an "init 3" boot.
Matt Wagenknecht                          CISSP  |  MCSE
Sr. Security Administrator                  via BlackBerry
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic.

This email may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
the sender and delete all copies of this email message.