FC2 installation woes....

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu May 20 02:35:33 UTC 2004

(or why I love upgrading!  You always learn something new!!!)

OK, I downloaded FC2 on Monday [!] via the German torrent, burned my CDs
on Tuesday, did my backups, and then Tuesday afternoon, the fun
started....  Upgrading from RedHat 9.0.....

The Fedora installer couldn't find my mouse (Mouse Systems 3 button
serial/optical).  Even after I selected it from the list manually,
nothing!  I had to install a PS/2 mouse in order to get the installer to
work for me.

I had to remove the old "cylinder clip" from my 120MB hard drive.  I
forgot that I had enabled the CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE=y option on my old
motherboard and I was still running the 2.4.20-28.9 kernel.  The
installer couldn't see my 120GB partition table.  OK, so I removed the
clip.  That's better.

Installation proceeds, pretty painlessly now.... (even upgraded from
lilo to grub).  Oh well, it didn't move the hdc=ide-scsi option from
lilo to the grub.conf.  That's easy enough to fix (if I want to burn
more CDs that is!)

System reboots.  X11 won't start.  Complains about parsing errors in my
XF86Config file.  It used to work with XFree86....  OK, so I track them
down and "fix" them.  They were all in unused screen configurations.
Sigh.  I was running the nVidia nforce2 drivers for X11.  No go, they
don't work with FC2.  nVidia doesn't have replacements up yet.
Oh boy, that means my sound and onboard ethernet aren't working too!
(BTW, X11 runs just fine with my Mouse Systems mouse! and GPM uses the
PS/2 one.  sigh)

"man" won't run:

	/usr/bin/gtbl: /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.3' not
	found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5)

httpd wasn't running (see above B^)
Mozilla wouldn't run (Firefox/Firebird would though!)  (see above B^)
Thunderbird wouldn't run either.  Sigh!

Had to Google this one to find out that I had installed a libgcc_s RPM a
while back for something else.  It was version 3.1.  I uninstalled it,
no problems now.

The new kernel seems to find my ethernet cards "backwards".  8139 PCI
card is now eth0 and the onboard nForce-2 is now eth1.  I need to fix
/etc/modules.conf.  OK, I can modprobe 8139too, and then configure the
card by hand.  That seemed to work.  But, wait, what to use for the
nVidia ethernet?  Hmmm, what's this reference in the startup logs to
forcedeth?  Why, look, there's module for it, and it seems to work.
Both ethernets now up and running (albeit with each other's names....).
  I gotta go fix the configurations so eth0 now uses DHCP and eth1 is
now hard coded....

OK, now, I'm back online, and apache is back up and running, I can at
least surf now.  NAT isn't working for the other PCs in the house,
furthermore, I can't send email (though I can receive it?!?!?!)

Duh!  The interface names changed, so I need to fix my iptables and use
the correct address (interface) for my DNS!

So, 24 hours later, I'm up and mostly recovered.

Just waiting for nVidia to post some FC2 drivers for sound (unless
anyone else has any better ideas!)

Oh, yeah, my MB is an ABit NF7 with the nForce-2 chipset on it....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net