nubie question: FC2 documentation

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu May 20 05:25:15 UTC 2004

At 23:03 5/19/2004, Frank Rehwinkel wrote:
>Would someone be so kind and point me to
>the FAQs and online documentation for FC2?

There is actually very little of it so far. It is easier to find good
people to code and contribute to programs than it is to find people who are
both knowledgeable about those programs, and have the inclination to write
docs (inherently a less glorious affair), *and* have decent language
skills. :-)

Since most of the packages in FC2 have evolved from earlier versions of all
the same packages, nearly all of them have good docs somewhere. Several
pointers:

  * The Linux Documentation Project
  http://www.tldp.org

  * Red Hat Linux 9 Manuals
  http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/

  * /usr/share/doc directory on your system

  * "man" command ("man locate", for example)

  * "info" command ("info locate")

>why my FC2 box doesn't see my Windows PCs on my local
>network although they can ping each other.  It might
>be as simple as letting the FC2 PC know what the
>network neighborhood name is, but I haven't figured
>out how to do that.  If things like this are covered
>in a man or info page or something similar, a pointer
>to a TOC or other starting point would be very useful.

Edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and change the "Workgroup" line. :-) I
believe you can issue the command "man smb.conf" and get *tons* of useful info.

>Finally a search of this fedora mailing list archives
>found no real hits for 'documentation' so I'm thinking
>everyone else knows something I don't about this
>subject.

Nah... that's why there's so much damned traffic on it! <smile>

Anytime you have a problem, try posting a specific question about it, with
details on what you're trying to do, what you've tried, specific error
messages if any, contents of log files if any, and with a useful subject
line. You'll get lots of help here.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz