Fc2 is damn slow :(

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu May 20 07:12:41 UTC 2004

davide wrote:
> I'm using fc2 right now at work, i tried to install it at home (i
> already have fc1 on a laptop and it works really fine) but i discovered
> that the new distro is hopelessly slow...
>
> I've a PIII 1000 with 256 Mb RAM and it's impossible to run fedora. Many
> times kde crashes withouth reason, Mozilla starts in 10 (i'm not joking)
> 10 minutes...
>
> I believe the problem is Xorg, anyone has an idea on how to optimize it?
> In this way i can't simply use the laptop, it's the slowest machine i've
> ever seen! :(

Your results are not typical.  I have been using FC2 with acceptably
good performance on a Celeron 466MHz with 196MB RAM today and it wasn't
painful to use.

It is probably an isolated problem within the kernel or xorg with a
specific hardware component.  Can you please report the following
information to Bugzilla against the "distribution" component and CC me.

1) Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and comment out the "dri" line.  Any better
behavior?  Does KDE still crash?  I have seen some strange problems with
DRI and KDE crashing during the FC2 development cycle...

2) Attach "lspci -n" and "lscpi -vvv" to the report.

3) dmesg > dmesg.txt and bzip2 compress that, then attach it.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-May/msg04549.html
4) Also link to your original post in the mailing list in the report so
others can see where your problem report originated.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com