Desperately need help! DHCP & host name problems........

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu May 20 15:47:44 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 20.05.2004 schrieb chun lee um 17:35:

> As I am struggling to get my internet connection to work properly, I am
> getting more and more lost with it. Desperately need help!
>
> Ok, I have a dual boot system (laptop) that has Fedora and Windows XP. And
> the type of connection I am trying to get to work is Ethernet DHCP.

> I then tried to bring up the Ethernet connection during the system start up,
> but the host name (appeared at the bottom right corner during the log in)
> has changed! it changed into my Windows XP's system name(winchun). If I
> proceed with the log in, it gave me a message saying something like "could
> not look up internet address for winchun. This will prevent GNOME from
> operating correctly". If I continue further, fedora starts up as normal and
> things seems to work including mozilla and the rest. Just now instead of
> saying in the terminal:
>
> myname at localhost myname
>
> It says
>
> myname at the_name_of_my_window_system myname

> CHUN

Chun,

the question for setting the hostname while using DHCP was answered more
than one time and even just yesterday (IIRC). Grab the list archive.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-network-config-ethernet.html

Using redhat-config-network setting up the ethernet device with DHCP set
the hostname by hand. That should cause a setting DHCP_HOSTNAME in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and to a setting in
/etc/hosts.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 17:42:20 up 7 days, 15:26, load average: 0.34, 0.19, 0.21
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]