Acrobat Reader Mozilla

John Thompson john at os2.dhs.org
Thu May 20 20:53:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
C G <ctgorgas at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I have Adobe Acrobat 5 installed and working fine on my Fedora Core 2
> system. The Mozilla plug-in page shows the .pdf is enabled. When I
> click on a .pdf link a blank page is presented. Acrobat does not open.
> Is there a way to get Acrobat or another PDF reader to open when I
> click on a .pdf hyperlink embedded in a web page?

Make sure that the acroread executable is in your path somewhere.  Type
"which acroread" at a shell prompt and if it tells you "no acroread in:
[long list of directories in your path]" that's probably your problem.
Type "locate bin/acroread" to see where it is, then create a sym-link
from the executable to some directory in your path:

   $ locate bin/acroread
   /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread
   $ln -s /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread /usr/bin/

Then try loading a pdf in Mozilla again.

As an alternative, you could install mozplugger, and use xpdf to view
pdf files from inside Mozilla (assuming you have xpdf installed).
That's what I prefer, as xpdf loads quite a bit faster than acroread.

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)