Problems forwarding X over ssh

Aaron Matteson fedora at cryptosystem.us
Thu May 20 21:21:47 UTC 2004

Peter W Beninate became daring and sent these 0.5K bytes,
> William Hooper wrote:
> >Michael Marsh said:
> >
> >>Really strange.... but it seems like it is sort of
> >>working... just not forwarding what I would
> >>get if I were physically sitting at the terminal.
> >
> >This has never been how X forwarding works.  Perhaps you are confusing it
> >with VNC?
>
> I have heard of people tunneling X through ssh, but have never done it
> myself.

I do this all the time like so:

ssh -CX username at host application

But i generally just open up a terminal and ssh to the host and enter
the application name, example. gedit and it is forwarded to my local
machine.

 | 0 1 0  -> Aaron M Matteson - 0xD144B7FF                         |
 | 0 0 1  --> Windows and Linux C++/C# Developer                   |
 | 1 1 1  ---> Researching the past to understand the future.      |
 | "Upon the one who is capable, vigorous and penetrating to the   |
 | Great Knowledge, the Two Gods Ea and Asarluhi will confer Vast  |
 | Understanding; these Gods will assure her/him a Guardian Angel, |
 | whose name will be pronounced until the most distant times"     |
 | Assyrian Magician's Manual, Kar 44, r. 17-20.                   |
 | aaron.matteson(at)gmx(dot)net - An opinionated email address    |
 | http://aaron.techcommons.info/ - An opinionated blog            |
 | http://aaron.techcommons.info/wiki/ - Projects via wiki         |