Installing IMAP

Paul D. Brown pdb at pdb.homelinux.net
Thu May 20 22:58:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:53:18PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 20.05.2004 schrieb Paul D. Brown um 22:55:
>
> > I had a similar problem installing something and found somewhere a
> suggestion
> > to symlink libcom_err.so.3 to libcom_err.so.2.  I did that and it appears to
> > have worked, though I don't know exactly what would go wrong if it didn't.
> > Sorry I don't remember more specifics, but maybe that will give you something
> > to try.
> >
> > Paul
>
> That is mostly ever a bad idea as the "missing" library indicates that
> the software intended to install is not for the platform you try to
> install on. You won't know what might happend if you force the install
> this way. In worst case you loose data!
>
> Alexander

I'm sure you are right, but I was desparate and grabbed on the first solution
I found.  Now that you make me rethink it, I went back to find why I did that.
It was to install a fetchmail package I built for FC1 to get kerberos support,
and the symlink didn't work, I just forced it on with --nodeps.  I guess I will

The original suggestion to make the symlink came from this lists archives:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-November/msg01705.html

So back to ground zero for the OP....

Paul