Thoughts and Questions On Yum, Up2Date. Etc.

billg billg at f-m.fm
Thu May 20 23:49:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:58:32 -0400, "Phil Schaffner"
<Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov> said:
> On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 15:16, William Hooper wrote:
> > billg said:
> > > 1)  Is yum's unresponsiveness due to mirror load? If so, why wasn't
> > > up2date slow?  Just dumb luck?  Do they not look at the same
> > > repositories?
> >
> > Up2date has code to pick a random mirror.  Yum does not.
... ...
> > > 2)  Why offer more than one way update a Fedora system?
> >
> > Why not?  yum has features up2date doesn't and up2date has features yum
> > doesn't.

Understand, but those capabilities are not necessarily a plus for a
shrinkerapped retail release. In fact, they're more liikely to be a
liability.  While many of us see the availability of yum, up2date, apt,
rpm, etc., and the ability to add and remove repositories as a positive
thing, most other folks, I believe, will see it as unnecessary confusion
and clutter. These folks will recognize the difference between updating
current software and adding new program, and they will expect to see an
icon on their desktop corresponding to each function.  They'll interpret
guidance to "add a new mirror" as an admission that the product doesn't
work right.