XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Fri May 21 01:44:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:29:03 -0400
"William M. Quarles" <quarlewm at jmu.edu> wrote:

> Who made the not-very-bright decision of choosing X.org over XFree86 for
> Fedora Core 2, and WHY?

It was a good decision given the goals of this project.   It looks like
X.org will also be advancing some nice new features over XFree.
This decision will probably look even better over time.

> I also LOVE (sorry, I was sarcastic, DESPISE) this item in the Release
> Notes for FC 2:
> "This release is a merger of the previous official X11R6 release,
> XFree86 4.4.0rc2, and additionally includes a number of updates"
> 1. XFree86 4.4.0rc2 was not a release (hence the rc, "release candidate")
> 2. It's not like XFree86 4.4 didn't come out.
> 3. What is that made XFree86 no longer official?  Because some corporate
> bubbleheads decided to get together, swipe another organizations code
> and pose it as their own?  Please.

Huh?   Very strange analysis.   XFree made an unfortunate change in their
licensing which is at odds with the goals of this project.

> I thought Fedora Core was going to be less corporate and more open now

It is more open.   But read fedora.redhat.com, there was never any
suggestion that it was going to be a democracy.

> that Red Hat is no longer making Red Hat Linux.  Apparently that isn't
> the case.  If things keep going this way, I'm going to find another
> distribution.  I certainly am not going to "upgrade to Fedora Core 2."

Everyone has to make the choice that's best for themself.

> Good luck to all of you braving the frontiers of the 2.6 kernel, too.

Thanks.   I'm sure we'll be fine.

Regards,
Sean.