XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

William M. Quarles quarlewm at jmu.edu
Fri May 21 04:29:59 UTC 2004

James Jones wrote:
> The new liccense is incompatible with GPL, and several Linux
> distributions have decided to no longer use XFree86 because of that.

The GPL incompatibility is irrelevant.

 From XFree86 website <http://www.xfree86.org/legal/licenses.html>:

"To avoid issues with application programs such as KDE and GNOME and
other X-based applications, that are licensed under the GPL, the 1.1
licence is not being applied to client side libraries."

Therefore, it doesn't matter what distributions have decided not to
include XFree86: their reasons are not because the XFree86 1.1 license
conflicts with the GPL License, as I stated on another message on this
thread.  Everything can still be distributed in binary form without
violating anybody's license, since the the 1.1 license does not apply to
the client side libraries.

Peace,
William