Win VNC client not connecting to FC2 VNC server

Frank Rehwinkel redback_frank at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 06:09:46 UTC 2004

I've searched for vnc related problems in this forum
and
for vnc man and install pages in FC2, but nothing
mentions
this kind of problem.

The same problem exists no matter which vnc client I
run on WinXP, beta 4.0 of
vncviewer from realvnc.com, TightVNC, or UltraVNC,
namely that the attempt
to connect times out.

error:
unable to connect to host.  A socket operation was
attempted to an unreachable host.  (10065)

The FC2 and WinXP boxes are both on my private home
network, getting
their addresses from a DHCP router.  The WinXP can
successfully ping
the FC2 box.  But all attempts at connecting to the
server that I
manually started on the FC2 box timeout.  I've tried
with and without
the -SecurityTypes=none vncserver argument.

The vncserver log reports an error relating to a
directory that doesn't
exist, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/, having to do with
security policy file
and the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/ exists but is
empty.
Xvnc version 4.0b4 - built Apr 14 2004 12:42:18
Underlying X server release 40300000, The XFree86
Project, Inc

Thu May 20 21:28:10 2004
vncext:      VNC extension running!
vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port
5901
vncext:      Listening for HTTP connections on port
5801
vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
error opening security policy file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!

Do I need to enable the 5901 port somehow?  Is there a
way to snoop
what the FC2 OS is seeing coming in on the 5901 port?

advThanksance,
-Frank