XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

William M. Quarles quarlewm at jmu.edu
Fri May 21 06:13:45 UTC 2004

Eric,

I have been researching this.  Please enlighten me on the following, as
I have not found the answers anywhere, other than people blasting each
other for being ignorant (seriously, if you know more than I do, I would
really appreciate it): In what way is the XFree86 1.1 license different
from the modified BSD license, (other than the restriction on
advertising at the end of the XFree86 1.0 license, which was already in
the XFree86 1.0 license)?  What is the specific change from 1.0 to 1.1
that made the XFree86 License incompatible with GPL 2 (because all of
the changes I have seen are already in the modified BSD license)?  Why
are people complaining about the advertising clause, since that is
exactly the same in the 1.1 license as it was in the 1.0 license?

If you had issues with me saying:
> Everything can still be distributed in binary form without violating
> anybody's license, since the the 1.1 license does not apply to the
> client side libraries.
I think that you are being picky with me, as Rodolfo was.  I won't
replicate my entire reply to Rodolfo, I'll just refer you back to his
message and my reply, but the main point for those who choose to be
picky is that I did not say "distributed in binary-only form."  I
understand that source code has to come along with it.

I understand that I have the choice to use different software.  I
emphasized that in my first message on this thread.

I have been using open source software for five years.  I've been a
systems administrator for four years (and yes, not just on my own PC;
I've only been doing that for two years and a few months).  I have been
actively participating in requesting and providing support, as well as
reporting bugs.  I am a scientific programmer, so I am not much use
programming OS stuff.  However, it would be really sad after all of this
if I did not understand how free software works.  That being said, I
certainly and humbly acknowledge that there is an incredibly large
number of people out there who know more than I do about GNU/Linux than
me.  If there are any points that I have not already clarified on in
this e-mail or in the one to Rodolfo which still show that I lack
understanding of the general concepts of free/open software, I actually
would seriously and deeply appreciate a point-by-point analysis, because
I've read everywhere that I could.

Peace,
William