XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

m jones blindman.jones at verizon.net
Fri May 21 06:18:02 UTC 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 00:41, look what Eric Diamond wrote:
> I am also going to remind you of one of the prime plusses of open
> software from a users standpoint. If you, personally, prefer to run
> XFree86, then by all means please do so! There is absolutely nothing
> preventing you from downloading the latest source tarballs and
> installing it yourself. Just because it doesn't come as part of the FC2
> distribution doesn't mean it won't run on FC2.

intersting point... seeing as how my install on my Inpsiron 5000 laptop was
not going well, I took your advice... got the XFree86 stuff, followed the
directions, everything installed perfectly and once I got the config worked
out... same behavior... X starts, but all I see is a dark screen...
CTRL+ALT+BKSPC to get back to command prompt... check the log, it shows X
started perfectly and all should be happy... but it is not.

so, neither the xorg or the XFree86 works on FC2 for my Dell inspiron 5000.

but don't let me interrupt what ever you all were going on about with actual
fedora discussion. :)

--
michael jones
erleichda archiving