nvidia and FC2

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri May 21 08:57:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 22:31 -0400, Luc Bouchard wrote:
> Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> >Contrary to the three options pointed out, there is only one option:
> >
> >   HELP END THE SOFTWARE PATENT NIGHTMARE!
> >
> Exactly how do you propose doing that?  You yourself have stated that
> you do not know of any 3D card that is supported by open source
> drivers.  Please enlighten us so we too can be on the pure path.

There is no way you can end software patents by trying to go around
patents.

It is near to impossible to make a driver without information that's not
disclosed, so don't try to divert the attention to the real issues.

Software patents are a nightmare, and they must be taken down.
There are only two ways to do it:
  prevent them from existing (what we're trying to do in Europe)
  stop them from existing (what you _have_to_do_).

This can only be done at the political level. Pressure your government.
There are groups focused on doing this, you can join them and help them.

Rui