XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

William M. Quarles quarlewm at jmu.edu
Fri May 21 08:57:09 UTC 2004

Andy Green wrote:

> On Friday 21 May 2004 07:24, William M. Quarles wrote:
>
> Hi William -
>
> First I have to admire your ability to p1ss people off while apparently
> conceding nor learning nothing from their replies.  This is something one
> usually sees in experienced trolls.
>
> Secondly, more rot had set in at Xfree than just the license.  The license
> problem was like a big fungus on a tree, you only see it when the tree is
> dying already.  The license was the last straw that pushed the bulk of
> distros away from the XF86 *project*.

Andy,

I'm sorry that I have pissed people off.  I'm having a hard time
learning anything learning anything when people keep writing
condescending and vague replies.  You tree and fungus metaphor is nice,
but this isn't poetry.  You still haven't explained why the XFree86
project is, in your opinion, falling apart.  And again, I'm going to ask
(and a bit redundantly, I admit):

1. What's so wrong about the license?
2. Why is it so different from the modified BSD license, other than the
XF86 advertising clause which was already in XF86 License 1.0?
3. What change specifically made the license incompatible with GPL?
4. Why would this change make it incompatible with the GPL when the XF86
1.1 license is almost exactly the same as the NSD license?

> Why would staying with the increasingly totalitarian XF86 project would have
> been brighter?  I am interested to hear the reasons that escaped the
> dumber-than-thou folks at SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, Redhat and so on.

How is XFree86 increasingly totalitarian?  I think that a counterpoint
to that is that they dissolved the core team to make the project more open.

> Here's an extension to an idea already suggested to you... if you feel
> strongly enough about it, maintain a modified Fedora distro that uses XF86.
> Surely people will flock to it... it's BRIGHTER.

If you're so much brighter than me, than how come you can't enlighten
the list with some answers to my questions about the licensing and why
(aside from the license issue) you think XFree86 is so doomed.