Fedora Core 2 - review.

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Fri May 21 19:00:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 12:01:10PM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> I still feel that this issue needs to be on the desktop of new
> installs for new users.  This could be included in my suggestion of a
> MM icon install on the desktop.  Like the license agreements that most
> people don't even look at.  Let them know that they accept the legal
> responsibilities of installing the mp3 plugins, DeCSS etc.

I am so sick of reading nonsense reviews that suggest that Fedora Core
is "crippled" because it doesn't include multimedia software with
licensing problems.

In FC3, perhaps we can replace the FC2 "Thank you" in the installer
with a nice long rant regarding software freedom, licensing, and the
evils of software patents and crap like the DMCA?

The same rant should be linked from the Release Notes.

Hmm, maybe I should Bugzilla an RFE ...

And as I've said before, a level of indirection solve the problem --
point users to Fedora Tracker, and let them search for what they need.
But first they should understand the licensing issues.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky