orinoco_cs device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

Peter Eddy petere at atg.com
Fri May 21 19:14:27 UTC 2004

Eliot Stock wrote:
> On Fedora Core 2, I get this on boot and when I click 'activate' in the
> system-config-network GUI for my Orinoco card, which is eth1.
>
> lsmod shows orinoco, used by orinoco_cs, so that looks ok.
>
> iwconfig only lists 'no wireless extensions' for l0, sit0 and eth0, but
> I want eth1 - is this the problem?
>
> ifconfig just shows l0.

I had this problem with my orinoco card in both FC1 and now FC2. For FC1
I used the network config program (system-config-network?) to remove
eth1 (my orinoco card, which it thought was not wireless) and then to
add a new wireless connection.

For FC2 that didn't work. I played around with it for a while and I
think what ended up fixing the problem was removing eth1 (or whatever
your orinoco device is), closing system-config-network, then restarting
it and adding a wireless connection. Sorry I can't be more specific, I
just fumbled with it until it worked.

Peter