Download Fastest Connections

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat May 22 01:30:37 UTC 2004

Jonathan Gardner wrote:

>On Friday 21 May 2004 03:58 am, Michael B Barnum wrote:
>
>>Besides Bit Torrent,  that someone else suggessted yesterday,  any
>>reccomendations on places for fast download speeds of Fedora Core 2
>>

>Use BitTorrent.
>
>(Yes, I know you said "besides bittorrent".)
>
>There is no reason why you shouldn't use bittorrent and help keep the load
>off of the server and its mirrors. You've got some upload speed -- use it
>to help everyone get a copy of FC2.

I only give up about a 40 kb/s,  upload speed. I am letting it run for
awhile to help others get a copy. (Using the duke torrent). So far about
4 gigs of pieces have been uploaded from the files that took me about 10
hours to retrieve. (The fastest transfer time seemed to be in the early
mornig hours. The progress during the after work (5 PM EST) to midnight
were in the 20 kb/s speed. I assume that the download was quickest
between 1:30 to 3:30 AM. The retrieval completed at shortly after 3:30
AM, so the download must have been fairly fast then. My DL speed is
usually 300 kb/s.

How congested are the mirrors with this being a few days past the
release date?

I ended up giving away the disks that I burned, to someone at work, who
could not find a fast mirror.

Anyway, FC2 final is pretty decent. Sound worked, CD burning and DVD
burning worked. I did get snared by the LBA mode error for dual boot
systems. Changing the bios setting from auto to LBA allowed win2k to boot.

Great job done by the developers! Testers!

Sorry for the added comments unrelated to downloading. It is worth the
wait .

Good mirrors for me were hiwaay and the mirror from ncsu. Ncsu seems to
be a day behind current, but has decent speeds. If they are slow, try
the mirror from Norway. It was fast when I downloaded FC1 via ftp.

Jim

--
Time to be aggressive.  Go after a tattooed Virgo.