Subject: Re: Fedora Core 2 - review.

Jim jpm8864 at verizon.net
Sat May 22 02:59:19 UTC 2004

Sean Estabrooks wrote:

>On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:27:23 -0500
>Mark S Jones <msjones773 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Mark,
>

>>I am a windows user for many years and have recently explored Linux. I installed Fedora core 1 as a dual boot and am very impressed with it. I have almost gotten it to work the way I do with Windows and have considered using it as my main OS. Then, along came Fedora core 2 and all of the problems people have encountered dual booting with Windows and with the various software and license issues, etc. I have been reading this List for sometime and must say that I am very disappointed with the responses given to Windows users that are encountering problems with core 2 or are comparing it to their experience with Windows.
>>

>What is the dual boot problem you are having?   A fix has been found.
>Future versions won't even require the fix.    What software licence issues
>are you having?    What is the problem you want to address?  If you
>want something fixed you have a responsibility to make a helpful
>bug report and help test fixes.
>

>>Why should a response like this even be necessary? Linux is different than Windows period, Unfortunately for the Linux community, 90% of the world runs Windows. So if you want to really promote Fedora to a major segment of computer users, you will have to help Windows users with their problems they encounter with a new operating system, instead of offering sarcasm. Or, maybe we will use Mandrake. =)
>>

>The mission statement for Fedora does not include anything about
>being for the major segment of computer users.   Please read
>http://fedora.redhat.com.   You have to understand what Fedora
>is all about or you'll continue to wonder why things don't work
>as you seem to expect.   Fedora is about new technology and being
>on the leading edge.   There are a set of costs and benefits that
>come along with that position.   If it's not where you want to be,
>the freedom provided by Linux gives you lots of options.
>
>Cheers,
>Sean
>
>P.S.   Please fix your email client to terminate lines at 72 characters.

Up until this past Tuesday , FC2 has only been a test released , the
Final with all the fixes etc. was released this past Tuesday. You cannot
compare a test OS with a Final OS , Try the new release , it works great
, SELinux is awesome and I have "so far" not encountered any problems
with it, runs smooth as silk. I'm very impressed with it , as I'm sure
you will be also , just make sure to read the release note before
installation and you'll love it too.