cdrecord problems (was Fedora Core 2 Problems)

James Baker fedora_now at hotmail.com
Sat May 22 04:22:29 UTC 2004

As I mentioned earlier, when I installed Core 2 (I did a fresh install, not
an upgrade; previously I was running RH9), I immediately ran into problems
with my mouse, my terminal, and with cdrecord.  I still have the first two
problems, but right now I'm working the cdrecord issue.  First note that I
have no IDE or USB peripherals in my computer; I have an Adaptec SCSI
controller card and a hard drive, a read-only cd drive, and a read/write cd
drive, all SCSI.

With Redhat 9 and earlier, when I simply ran (as root) "cdrecord -scanbus" I
would get a listing of the all the active devices on the SCSI bus. On my
computer (with RH9) it looks something like this (I would have to reinstall
RH9 to tell you exactly):

[root at orion]# cdrecord -scanbus
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) 'IBM     ' 'DDYS-T18350N    ' 'S96H' Disk
        0,3,0     3) 'NEC     ' 'CD-ROM DRIVE:466' '1.26' Removable CD-ROM
        0,4,0     4) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 9200 ' '1.0c' Removable CD-ROM
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

(Hopefully the E-mail won't screw up the formatting of the above) My best
guess is that when they altered cdrecord to change it from the dev=0,4,0
format to the dev=/dev/scd0 format, they lost the scanbus functionality.  As
you'll see below, with Core 2 you can scan for a particular device IF you
know what that device is, but the whole point of scanbus is that it scanned
ALL SCSI devices (and multiple SCSI busses if you got 'em) and let you know
what's out there and working.   If anyone can confirm or deny these changes
to cdrecord please let me know.  Likewise, if you know of any syntax changes
to cdrecord that will allow it to perform a scanbus as it did with RH9 I
would appreciate it.

TIA

Here are four examples that I ran with Fedora Core 2.

[root at orion]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
version.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/hd*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

I love where it says "For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'" when
that's exactly the command I ran :).

[root at orion]# cdrecord -scanbus dev=/dev/sda
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
version.
scsidev: '/dev/sda'
devname: '/dev/sda'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily -
Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c     1.80 04/03/08
Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) 'IBM     ' 'DDYS-T18350N    ' 'S96H' Disk
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

This is my hard drive.

[root at orion]# cdrecord -scanbus dev=/dev/scd0
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
version.
scsidev: '/dev/scd0'
devname: '/dev/scd0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily -
Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c     1.80 04/03/08
Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) 'NEC     ' 'CD-ROM DRIVE:466' '1.26' Removable CD-ROM
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

This is a my read-only cd drive.

[root at orion]# cdrecord -scanbus dev=/dev/scd1
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
version.
scsidev: '/dev/scd1'
devname: '/dev/scd1'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily -
Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c     1.80 04/03/08
Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 9200 ' '1.0c' Removable CD-ROM
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

And this is my read/write cd drive.