No sound: "Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found"

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat May 22 11:12:28 UTC 2004

Hi,

>  "Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found"
>
> However sound card detection tools finds my card: nForce2 AC97 Audio
> Controller, module snd-intel8x0.
>
> Does anyone know what's happenning?

Yep.

Change to su and edit modprobe.conf so it reads

include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0
&& /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||:
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };

alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

(leaving in any other alias' of course!)

save and try it. You'll find it works. Or should!

(I had this problem when FC2 was in rawhide - the fix works nicely :-)

TTFN

Paul
--
"Your lives are in the hands of men no smarter than you or I, many of
them incompetent boobs. I know this because I worked alongside them,