Problems Downloading into Browser, how login to FTP?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Sat May 22 11:22:40 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 22.05.2004 schrieb Al Franz um 3:08:
> Having problems downloading Fedora from the Redhat site or Mirror sites.

Use a mirror, much faster ;-)

> My WinXP system with IE has always had problems with downloading large files
> in HTTP or FTP, believe it is a windows limitation.

DO NOT download large files with internet explorer, it won't work. I had
no problems with mozilla/firebird|fox, but in general it's better to use
a download manager.

md5sum the files befor you burn them. md5sumd for win32:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/md5.zip (command line version)
http://www.toast442.org/pub/md5.exe (with gui)

>   So I tried to logon to
> an FTP site with an FTP program but none of the mirrors seem to work, I can
> not see a list of files in the FTP program.  What user name and password is
> required for these open sites? I tried "anonymous" but get the errors...
>
> "Address lookup of FTP SITE failed. It may be misspelled, or your computer
> may not be connected to the network or Internet. Also check that your DNS
> and local name servers are properly configured and responding."

If you are on a network you will need support for passive ftp, IIRC it
was introduced in internet explorer 5.5 or 6. But I recommend ws_ftp.

Have fun
Christoph