Fedora Core 2 - review.

Mark S Jones msjones773 at hotmail.com
Sat May 22 15:23:33 UTC 2004

Sorry, I failed to forward this to the entire group last night...it was
late.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:27:23 -0500
Mark S Jones wrote:

>> I am a windows user for many years and have recently explored Linux.
>> I installed Fedora core 1 as a dual boot and am very impressed with
>> it. I have almost gotten it to work the way I do with Windows and
>> have considered using it as my main OS. Then, along came Fedora core
>> 2 and all of the problems people have encountered dual booting with
>> Windows and with the various software and license issues, etc. I have
>> been reading this List for sometime and must say that I am very
>> disappointed with the responses given to Windows users that are
>> encountering problems with core 2 or are comparing it to their
>> experience with Windows.
>>

> What is the dual boot problem you are having?   A fix has been found.
> Future versions won't even require the fix.    What software licence
> issues
> are you having?    What is the problem you want to address?  If you
> want something fixed you have a responsibility to make a helpful bug
> report and help test fixes.

I have successfuly dual booted with xp and fedora core 1. I have no dual
boot issue currently as I have read the bug reports and forums and know
of the dual boot issue that makes it  difficult to boot into windows
once installing Fedora core 2, so I have decided not to upgrade at the
present time. Many people have reported that they even tried wiping out
their hard drive and reformating with no success. This bug has persisted
through test 1, test 2, test 3 and final release. I am not so sure a fix
has been found, although some users have reported success.

There is some software that is not included in Fedora core 2. There's
nothing wrong about this but some users are asking why. I do not have
any software license issues. I am responding to the remark,
"I agree it should be easier, but I'm also a bit annoyed with people who
think everything should work like Windows right out of the box. . Why
not just use Mandrake? =)".

The problem I want to address is exactly what your reply is about.
Please read my post. There is no reason for sarcasm just because a
windows user is asking for help. I don't think that Windows users really
expect Linux to act like Windows. They just want to learn how to use it.

>> Why should a response like this even be necessary? Linux is different
>> than Windows period, Unfortunately for the Linux community, 90% of
>> the world runs Windows. So if you want to really promote Fedora to a
>> major segment of computer users, you will have to help Windows users
>> with their problems they encounter with a new operating system,
>> instead of offering sarcasm. Or, maybe we will use Mandrake. =)
>>

> The mission statement for Fedora does not include anything about
> being for the major segment of computer users.   Please read
> http://fedora.redhat.com.   You have to understand what Fedora
> is all about or you'll continue to wonder why things don't work
> as you seem to expect.   Fedora is about new technology and being
> on the leading edge.   There are a set of costs and benefits that come
> along with that position.   If it's not where you want to be,
> the freedom provided by Linux gives you lots of options.
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

I did not say that the mission statement of Fedora says anything about
being for the major segment of computer users. If Fedora is happy with
less than 10 % of computer users in the world, so be it. What I said
was, if Fedora wants to promote itself to the other 90% of the world, it
will have to deal with Windows users. There are a lot of Windows users
who are looking for another operating system and are having some
difficulties understanding a new operating system. What's the sense of
being on the "leading edge" if you are going to discourage people from
using it. I feel that Fedora would like to see more Windows users
converting to Linux (just my opinion). Maybe for some members of this
list that means some of the questions asked on this list will sound
lame. But the reason they are being asked is because someone wants to
learn.
Mark