VDQ : which Galeon for FC1?

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sat May 22 20:43:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:08:53 -0500, Satish Balay wrote:

>> Also I don't fancy myself at tarballs. Is there a way to use rpm, which I
>> have now? Or yum, which I plan to get soonest?
>>
>> I have liked the versions of Galeon that ran, including what I last had on
>> RH9 (and still have on a backup machine); but upgrading from RH9 to FC1 on
>> this machine didn't preserve Galeon. (It didn't preserve Pine, either, and
>> the first thing I did was go get Pine for FC1.) I'll get it if I can
>> handle it -- but I'm nobody's technoid, nor was meant to be.
>
> Fedora is shipping epiphany instead of galeon (it is a branch of
> galeon).

Oho! That's why I keep hearing about it! I did check, and got this:
                      =====
[root at localhost btth]# rpm -q epiphany
package epiphany is not installed
[root at localhost btth]#
                      =====

(I don't know another way to do that besides with rpm -q ; should I?

> Also - the newer galeon versions are a bit different from the
> ones you got used to with RHL9 (I believe its a major rewrite for
> gnome-2). If you wish to use galeon - you have 2 options:
>
> - Install one from fedora.us testing (yum speak)
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/yum/testing

OK, let me be clear, because I'm still an unknown distance over my head
here.

While you wrote that very helpful post, I went and got
yum-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm (I already disremember where -- RedHat I think);
did rpm -Uvh on it; backed up yum.conf; replaced it with the sample
yum.conf at http://mirror.cc.vt.edu/yum.conf (which is just across town,
and which I had used when I had FC1 running before). Then I ran
yum.update; it appeared to run normally -- and got only two little kdepim
things; so I presume FC1 itself should now be update, right?

Now, I *think* iirc (and I do mean IF) you must mean that I copy the line
above (or perhaps the one below) starting with baseurl into my working
yum.conf -- somewhere. Right? Where? Or should I just be able to do
something like "yum get epiphany" with the yum.conf the way it is?

> - Install from dag (with this you'll use mozilla-1.6 as well)
> baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/fc1/en/i386/dag
>
> I've update mozilla/epiphany & installed galeon/pine (and a bunch of
> other things) from dag repository.

I've lurked on a couple of these lists long enough to realize what a good
name dag has. Is there a reason a non-user of Mozilla per se should prefer
that in this case?

--
Beartooth Implacable, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Work is for people who can't hunt.