All Gnome desktop text has disappeared!

Toby Johnson toby at etjohnson.us
Sat May 22 21:45:51 UTC 2004

I recently upgraded from RedHat 8.0 to FC1 (well, "upgrade" isn't
correct.. reformatted & reinstalled, then copied home directories back
over from backup). So I'm slowly installing packages, configuring them,
upgrading them, etc. as I have time.

Well, I don't know what exactly I've done in the past few days, but when
I log in to Gnome using a non-root user, there is no text whatsoever on
the deskop! Shortcuts, the "Start" menu, the logout screen, tooltips..
everything is just an empty slate! This doesn't happen if I log in to
Gnome as root. This happens whether I do "startx" from the attached
monitor or use VNC.

Since this doesn't happen when I log in as root, I'm guessing it's a
permissions problem somewhere? I've tried deleting almost all of the .g*
folders and the Desktop folder in my non-root home directories to no
avail. As you can guess, I don't care if I have to completely blow away
my desktop configs (I do most work thru the shell using SSH), so what
can I do to remedy all this? Force a reinstall of all Gnome rpms?

tia,
toby