VDQ : which Galeon for FC1?

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Sat May 22 22:47:19 UTC 2004

Behold, Satish Balay <balay at fastmail.fm> hath decreed:

> Fedora is shipping epiphany instead of galeon (it is a branch of
> galeon). Also - the newer galeon versions are a bit different from the
> ones you got used to with RHL9 (I believe its a major rewrite for
> gnome-2). If you wish to use galeon - you have 2 options:
>
> - Install one from fedora.us testing (yum speak)
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/yum/testing
>
> - Install from dag (with this you'll use mozilla-1.6 as well)
> baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/fc1/en/i386/dag
>
> I've update mozilla/epiphany & installed galeon/pine (and a bunch of
> other things) from dag repository.

Or, you could just download the latest galeon 1.3 tarball and rebuild
the rpms from source...

1. Download the latest tarball from the sources section on galeon's
   sourceforge page. (As of this writing, latest is 1.3.14a).

2. In the case of 1.3.14a, rename the tarball to have 1.3.14 (get rid of the
   'a'). Also, make sure you get the bz2 version, for simplicity.

3. Now execute 'rpmbuild --tb galeon-1.3.14.tar.bz2'. Assuming you have
   the necessary dependancies, this will build galeon and tell you where
   it has stuck the rpms.

prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
"Every man is a mob, a chain gang of idiots."
                           - Jonathan Nolan, /Memento Mori/