I hate mailing lists

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Sun May 23 08:41:30 UTC 2004

> Instead of reading mail as if it were news, it would make a lot more
> sense to just have news.  Mailing lists are best for one-way mass
> communication about what your favorite band's next gig is and for
> those college students who have a hard enough time just using a web
> browser. I think considering that we are all using Linux, we are at
> least computer-savvy enough to use a news client.

I don't care which is used as long as there is a way to subscribe to it
and have it sent to me via email. I don't want to hassle with Usenet,
which IMO is a pain, but it shouldn't be any big deal to make a
mail-based mirror or vice versa. The only real problem with that is that
it can become easy to post duplicate messages. I use something in the
area of 600 mailing lists though and have no problems with them in
general. Usenet based things can be annoying because of client
limitations, lack of decent news servers, and the general problem of
Usenet being more of a pull technology than a push technology.