Touchpad + USB mouse on FC2

Miles Sabin miles at milessabin.com
Sun May 23 10:46:11 UTC 2004

Just want to check that I'm not missing something obvious before I
bugzilla this ...

I've just done a fresh FC2 install on a Sony PGC-Z1XSP which comes with
an Alps touchpad. If I boot without a USB mouse attached the touchpad
and keyboard are both detected,

  kernel: serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
  kernel: input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio1
  kernel: serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
  kernel: input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

But if I boot with a USB mouse attached then the touchpad isn't detected
and nothing I can think of will bring it to life.

OTOH, attaching the USB mouse _after_ boot works just fine: X responds
to both the touchpad and the mouse via /dev/input/mice.

Any clues would be much appreciated.

TIA ...

Cheers,

Miles