Networking is notworking

Brian Kendig brian at enchanter.net
Sun May 23 14:06:13 UTC 2004

I'm trying Fedora Core 2 on my laptop, but it's not able to use either
of my network interfaces which both worked fine under SuSE 9.0.

The laptop is a Dell Latitude D266XT, connected to its minidock.  The
dock has an Ethernet connector based on a 3c905 chip.  FC2 properly
senses this interface and assigns eth0 to it.  But when I try to
activate it through the Network Configuration control panel, it says
"Determining IP information for eth0..." then about a minute later it
says "failed."  /var/log/messages is very chatty during that minute
it's working; it starts out by logging "dhclient: sit0: unknown
hardware address type 776" often, as well as things like "eth0:
transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000" and eth0: Transmit error,
Tx status register 90."  It continues to log errors to the messages log
every few seconds even after it gives up.

The laptop also has a 3Com Megahertz 10/100 PCMCIA card in it, which
FC2 also detects and assigns eth1 to.  When I try to activate it,
Network Configuration says "3c574_cs device eth1 does not seem to be
present, delaying initialization."  I don't understand how FC2 could
autodetect a card then say it's not present?  When I try to activate
eth1, /var/log/messages says nothing about it.

This is a brand-new fresh install of FC2; getting the network up is the
very first thing I'm trying to do after a vanilla install of it.  I'd
prefer to be able to get the PCMCIA network card working so I don't
have to lug the dock around.

Any help would be appreciated!

   - B