inaudible beep (ctrl-G) in Fedora Core 2

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Sun May 23 18:18:51 UTC 2004

Mike Zingale wrote:

>Hi, I have a clean install of FC2.  My sounds work (audio from a movie as
>played by mplayer comes through fine), but a simple beep from the
>terminal, as issues by tab-completing filenames, ctrl-G in the terminal,
>etc. does not sound.  There are quite a few volume sliders in the volume
>control applet, and I made sure that the PC speaker one was high, but
>still no sound.
>
>Any ideas?

Yes.  You need to 'modprobe pcspkr' and you need to 'yum update' to pick
up a libgnome update that fixes sound.
I made pcspkr  load by adding it to my alsa driver line in
/etc/modprobe.conf e.g. for my snd-ali5451 driver:

install snd-ali5451 /sbin/modprobe pcspkr && /sbin/modprobe
--ignore-install snd-ali5451 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null
2>&1 || :

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021