I hate mailing lists

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun May 23 18:42:34 UTC 2004

William M. Quarles wrote:
> I think considering that we are all using Linux, we are at least
> computer-savvy enough to use a news client.

Except that fedora-list, in particular, carries a lot of traffic about
how to install Fedora and how to recover a broken Fedora installation:
two occasions where the normal Fedora facilities aren't available.

Many of these users will then need to use what they can find: probably
a browser and an e-mail client, and quite possibly neither privileges
to install or configure a news client, nor firewall rules set up to let
them read random news servers on the Internet, nor the inclination to
go through the palaver of finding, downloading and installing a
suitable news client.

For these unfortunates, we will need a two-way web-to-news or e-mail-to-
news gateway.

And it sounds as though we've already got a two-way e-mail-to-news
gateway, and a one-way news-to-(e-mail-to)-web gateway.

James.
--
E-mail address: james@ | grasshopotomaus:
westexe.demon.co.uk    | A creature that can leap to tremendous heights...