FC2 on Thinkpad T21 (standby, APM, ACPI etc.)

Piotr Gawrysiak pgawrysiak at supermedia.pl
Sun May 23 21:16:31 UTC 2004

Sorry for dup (if I did it :-)...

I'm installing FC2 on IBM Thinkpad T21 (2647-4AU).

Have anyone managed to get suspend/standby working on this machine? APM seems to be working only partially (after pressing standby button notebook blanks screen and... hangs, fan is working etc., the standby cycle is not completed and the only thing I can do is power it off :-)

ACPI seems to be better - but I had to switch CPU power management in BIOS (normally the CPU is put most of the time in C3 state and this results in a very quiet but annoying hum from the speakers). FC2 does not seem to have ACPI events configured (in /etc/acpi/events) but at least Fn-F4 (but not, alas Fn-F3 and Fn-F12) is recognized so I attached echo 3 > /proc/sleep to this. With this I can put the notebook to standby - it seems to complete it more correctly than APM (standby "moon" led switches on, and fan & hdd is powered off) but Ultrabay swap led is not switched off (so I guess I rather should not try warm swapping the drive) and also Fn key is not able to wake the machine up - I have to press the power button. Any ideas?

Other remarks - the e100 module does not seem to survive the standby - it works after wakeup but after ~20 minutes misteriously dies. Hmmm. On the other (positive) hand the experimental 3D accelerated driver for Savage/IX that I compiled from dri.sourceforge.net CVS seems to work well and it seems to survive standby, the same applies to sound driver (cs46xx)...

So - anyone has experience with this notebook? Or any ideas what to do to get proper suspend/standby/hibernation (note - I have not tried swsusp yet, have to fix standby properly first I guess)?

Of course any hints about other thinkpad specific things that are still ahead for me (well - sound recording, IRDA, tpctl installation, onscreen controls, thinkpad buttons, modem (hmmm, unlikely...), S-VHS out (anyone tried s3switch on FC2 & T21?) etc.) would be highly apreciated ! :-)

Many thanks for info...

Piotr Gawrysiak

PS. I noticed that kdemultimedia is heavily broken in FC2. The MP3 support should have been removed, but it was *somehow* disabled only - aRts lists mp3 as one of the available formats (!!!), and kdemultimedia dependent applications do not display any mp3 licence info (like XMMS does) but seem to hang instead (try playing MP3 in Noatun for example). Some applications (Kopete for me) are not even able to play ogg. Hmm... Entire KDE seems to be a bit crippled (I have not extensively tested it, but it seems to me that KDevelop has some problems - at least with standard configuration I could not launch any debugging session, but did not time to see what actually is wrong).