Slashdotted - XP dual boot issue

Dan Haines dan.haines at metservice.com
Sun May 23 23:26:22 UTC 2004

> So , add the facts and it shows you that it doesnt "corrects a
> malformed partition table" like you said. It changed the partition
> tables , even when it shouldnt! The geometry was right , all the
> partition types were right , so why it changed anything?

SCSI disks?

I had an experience when upgrading to FC2 from FC1..

I had an external SCSI disk (originally /dev/sdb) and an internal SCSI
disk (originally /dev/sda), both on seperate SCSI controllers.

FC2 decided to be clever, and load the controller supplying the external
SCSI disk FIRST, meaning that it went from /dev/sdb to /dev/sda.

I can imagine this would cause problems with windows booting..

Let me know if you want my solution to the problem.