IMAP Version

Alex White prata at kuei-jin.org
Mon May 24 17:48:01 UTC 2004

Aaron Gaudio wrote:

>Behold, William Hooper <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> hath decreed:

>>>Dunno. It was the first imapd implementation I found when I was
>>>looking (I wouldn't know to look for a package called dovecot
>>>for an imap daemon ;). I'll look into it sometime when I get a
>>>chance.
>>>

>><sarcasm>
>>Yeah, it's not like it is in the release notes or anything
>></sarcasm>
>>
>>http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html
>>"imap — Replaced by dovecot"
>>

>Well, smarty, in fact when I upgraded, apt removed imapd and replaced
>it with cyrus-imapd. After determining that cyrus was not what I wanted,
>I simply rebuilt and reinstalled the package I was familiar with.

Just as a "me too" here, I installed dovecot, but when I was combin'
google for a howto, I couldn't find one that explained much. The
documentation on their website seems, sparse to say the least. All the
same, I uninstalled it and installed the imapd package. It was much
simpler after playing guessing games with dovecot.

The config file is well commented, but not matter how I spelled out the
path for mail boxes it always wanted to use /var/mail as opposed to
/var/spool/mail/ which seems more logical in general.

Alex