Boot hangs on "Probing new hardware" [firewire ... maybe]

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon May 24 22:03:57 UTC 2004

Marc Mouriès wrote:

>  ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Smith" <brads at redhat.com>

I had a failing USB card reader causing me a lockup during "Checking
Hardware". I guess this is rare to have bad usb based hardware. Anyway,
some device on your usb buss might be causing kudzu to lockup.

A more common problem reported with locking up at "checking hardware" is
related to a problem with firewire. I'm not sure of solutions, but if
you go to http://bugzilla.redhat.com  - you should find a lot of reports
and workarounds to the firewire problem.

 At least you went to runlevel 1 to "disable" the service. Kudzu is
started in levels 3,4 and 5 normally.

With my similar problem, I went into runlevel 1 and ran "chkconfig
--level 3 off"  - This still left runlevel 5 with kudzu enabled. I since
"disabled" my card reader. (Unplugged it and waiting to trash it later)

Jim

--
Your love life will be... interesting.