APIC blues with SMP kernel

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Mon May 24 23:16:23 UTC 2004

Hi Wolfgang,

On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:36:45 +1000
Wolfgang <wolfgang at rpi.net.au> wrote:

> > > My first suggestion would be to update your mother board BIOS.
> > > There maybe there are some bugs in the APIC code in the BIOS. Or
> > > change the APIC level from 1.4 to 1.1.
> >
> > Mmmh... ok, I will try that -- I do recall seeing this on BIOS
> > setup.
> >
> > > I don't have any APIC problems with my servers, as I run Tyan MPX
> > > mother boards, and have not seen APIC problems at all. I've run
> > > RH9, FC1 & RHEL3 WS on these boards without any problems.
> >
> > It should be something specific to my mobo then. Bad luck =(
> >
> > Thks for the ideas,
> >
> > Andre
> >
> > --
> > Andre Oliveira da Costa
> >
> That may very well be possible, as I had similar problems with MSI
> Dual CPU Boards. So I decided to go for Tyan boards, and all the
> problems went away.

My mobo is ABIT IIRC. I did set ACPI version to 1.1, and tried vanilla
2.4.26 SMP. It did last longer than RH 2188 SMP (the whole weekend, but
with near-null load), but today it locked solid right after I logged in
and started to use it. Funny thing is that it still worked for a while,
but it seems that only while I requested apps that still were in memory.
As soon as I demanded data from the HD, the machine hung. Could this be
a HD spindown/wake-up problem?

I am now trying with HT disabled on BIOS, and with RH 2188 non-SMP
kernel. It seems to be working fine, but only time will tell... Any
ideas will be much appreciated, I am really disappointed I cannot use
SMP with this machine... =/

TIA

Andre

--