Disabling LVM check/startup on FC2

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Tue May 25 00:44:42 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:

>Paul R. Ganci wrote:
>

>>Since I need mkinitrd because I make my own kernels I am stuck. This
>>problem is not a serious one ... just annoying.
>>

>Pardon me if I'm being thick, but if you aren't using lvm, why do you
>need an initrd?

Because I choose to load my SCSI card driver and raid support as modules.

>If you can compile all the modules you need to mount / into the kernel
>(I'd argue that they should be there anyway on custom kernels), and you
>don't need the initrd to configure your root partition, then you can
>just leave the initrd line out of grub althogether.

That is true but I prefer not to do it this way nor should I have to do
it this way.

>Which makes everything that much simpler.

No it doesn't. I already have a tried, working way of doing things which
I have been using for years now and which now has a very minor problem
because of a dependency that wasn't there in previous versions of both
RedHat 8/9 and FC1.

>Or are you doing something exotic like running a diskless workstation?

My reasons for doing my own kernels are not relevant to the discussion.
However since you ask I like a kernel that fits on a floppy from which I
can boot. By making a kernel customized to my hardware I get what I want
without all kinds of other useless stuff built into the kernel.
Ultimately it comes down to personal choice which is what linux is all
about.

In any case it isn't a big deal ... the system functions properly.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)