Dovecot and Evolution

fedora-list at the-leveys.us fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Tue May 25 03:35:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:28:37PM -0400, Don Levey wrote:
> I managed to upgrade my mail server from RH9 to FC2 by the seat of my
> pants (involving, amongst other things, a hung boot process in RH9
> that just made me decide to go ahead and do it on the main drive, but
> that's another long story).
>
> I've now installed dovecot, since the uw-imap and uw-ipop3 are now
> gone.  I've got it up and running, and it seems to work, but there's
> an interaction problem with Evolution (1.4.6).  I've got the
> following in the dovecot.conf file:
>
> # Dovecot can notify client of new mail in selected mailbox soon
> after it's # received. This setting specifies the minimum interval in
> seconds between # new mail notifications to client - internally they
> may be checked more or # less often. Setting this to 0 disables the
> checking. # NOTE: Evolution client breaks with this option when it's
> trying to APPEND.
> mailbox_check_interval = 0
>
> ...which I set specifically because I do use Evolution (at home).
>  However, Evolution seems to hang when connecting, and this seems to
> hang the server for any other instance of this userID logging in
> and/or sending mail.  Restarting dovecot and sendmail don't fix this
> problem - any suggestions on where to start?
> -Don

As I mentioned in my addendum, rebooting the server did not solve
the problem. Interestingly, however, I am able to SEND mail but not
RECEIVE. It does appear that I can get access to the user's mailbox
by logging on to the server itself as root and the su-ing to the
user's account (I can't login to the account at the login prompt;
it simply refuses my username/password combination).  What have I
screwed up?

 -Don