FC2 doesn't see my sound card

Brian Kendig brian at enchanter.net
Tue May 25 11:59:24 UTC 2004

Øyvind Stegard wrote:

> Hmm, think about it: 'lspci' lists stuff connected to the _PCI_ bus,
> NOT
> the ISA bus.

Exactly.  Which is why I pointed out that 'lspci' doesn't list my
soundcard, so nobody would toss me a reply like 'please post the output
from lspci'.

Thanks for the tips; I'll have a look into those, but I have a few more
questions first:

- I don't see any '/etc/init.d/alsa*', or in fact anything in
/etc/init.d which mentions sound.  What part of the startup process is
supposed to start the sound layer?

- My modprobe.conf doesn't contain an 'include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist'
line; that wasn't put in the file during the OS installation.  Is it
supposed to contain this line, does it need it?  And I assume the
differentiation between the two files is so I can modify modprobe.conf
for my specific settings without having to touch the distribution
settings?

- What happens if I decide to compile ALSA and my soundcard drivers
into the kernel, instead of loading them as modules?  How do I specify
the options settings (irq, dma, etc.) when it's not a module?