XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

Christopher Chan cchan at outblaze.com
Tue May 25 14:23:11 UTC 2004

William M. Quarles wrote:
> Prasanth Kumar wrote:
>
>> I don't think Red Hat are the only developers switching to X.org. For
>> one thing Debian is also. Furthermore key people like Jim Gettys and
>> Keith Packard are associated with X.org. These guys have been working on
>> X related stuff well before XFree86 even existed.
>>

> Red Hat is not a "developer," it's a distributor: someone who repackages
> and markets somebody elses product.

Hmm. Let's see. Redhat hires some very key people in gcc, glibc, linux
and nptl development. I wonder whether their contributions to these
should be acknowledged. The same goes for Suse or rather Novell too.

In fact, Redhat does not just repackage, they will make changes or add
stuff. Those usually (would be always if everything was perfect, you get
the drift i hope) go back into their respective projects like gcc,
glibc, linux and nptl.

Now quit the Redhat take other peoples stuff and give nothing back line.

> And so far, that's all X.org has done, too, with XFree86's code.

X.org I hope will pave the way for the Xdesktop X server and rid us of
the stalled Xfree86 project.

> As I've already said on this thread, those vendors/distributors are
> switching to X.org because it is an organization that is vendor-oriented
> and sponsored by the hardware and software manufacturers, whereas
> XFree86 is an independent community of volunteers.
> <http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14511>

Blah blah blah. XFree86 pulled a stunt. They got hurt. That's it.